MR2 Blog

CleanCarCulture MR2: Step 2 - Its Flocking Time!

For the second installment of our MR2 build, we’re posting up a little How To for all of our DIYers out there.

Have you ever looked at your interior and wished it looked a bit less dated? Or maybe you just have the desire to have something that only the most die hard are willing to work for? Well, this is your answer. FLOCK THE DASH! It’s a wonderful piece of customization that not only looks amazing, but eliminates sun glare off the dash!

MATERIALS AND TOOLS NEEDED:

Foam Rollers
Foam Brushes
Suede-Tex Mini Flocker
Suede-Tex Flocking Fiber
Suede-Tex Undercoat Adhesive
Rubbing Alcohol
Vacuum Cleaner with Brush Attachment

STEP 1: REMOVAL

I know it seems to go without saying, but we don’t want to leave anything out. To get a seamless look, the dash needs to be removed and completely stripped of parts. I know it can be a pain, but you want it turn out perfect, right?

STEP 2: PREP

You’re going to want to address all the issues your dash may have. Things like cracks, or in the case of our MR2; dash lift, are going to be amplified when you change the texture. we managed to fix ours by using a combination of epoxy and contact cement to address our flaws.

After the much needed repairs, we had to get all of the cleaning products off that had accumulated over the years. we ended up getting it all off using rubbing alcohol and microfiber cloths.

STEP 3: GLUE APPLICATION

Next we applied our glue. We used foam rollers and brushes. Make sure to cover ALL of the dash. Move quickly, as it starts to dry within about twenty minutes. The glue comes in a wide range of colors so really you can go wild to make your interior match your style!

Find the adhesive we used here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A41M774/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

STEP 4: FLOCKING

Flocking is probably the most fun step. Its also the most simple. Make sure you find a place where you’re good to get this stuff everywhere, as it does get pretty messy. Just fill your mini flocker about halfway with flocking fiber and pump away until its empty, then repeat. Make sure to cover with about twice as much as you think you’ll need. You want total coverage when you remove the excess fiber, and overusing is pretty much the only way to guarantee it.

After you’re satisfied with the amount of fiber you’ve applied to your dash, find somewhere safe to store it that won’t be windy and will be out of the elements. Suggested set time is 24 hours, but just to be safe we waited around three days.

Find the Mini Flocker and Flocking Fiber here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A1Q0EW2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A1Q0EW2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

STEP 4: FINISH

Now it’s time to see what you’ve got after all that work. To remove the excess flocking fiber, you’ll need to take your vacuum cleaner with brush attachment and go to town. Don’t be afraid of hurting your work, this glue is no joke.

When you’re done the dash will feel like new crushed velvet. If you’re anything like us, you won’t want to stop with just the dash. We intend to tie the entire interior together with it.

If you want to follow the build with more up to the minute updates, you can follow along with the build on Instagram @ccc_mr2

Words: Michael McLean
Photos: Gordon Lister

CleanCarCulture MR2: Step 1 - Tear Down

Time to begin another extensive build of some rare car from Japan’s golden age. This particular car, our 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, was the project of a young man over a decade ago. He had already outfitted the car with what was then some decent TEIN coilovers and Hankook RS-2 Tires. According to him, the car was his baby. When he finally decided to swap the Gen2 3S-GTE for the Gen3 that came in a newer model, life caught up with him. When he suddenly learned he was becoming a father, he vowed to get back to it, and let the car sit in his parent’s barn with no engine or gearbox. Sadly he never returned to the project, and finally decidied to part with his baby in order to take his son on vacation.

First step for us was to take inventory of exactly what we had. After a quick (and much needed) bath, we decided to start with the interior of the car. As it was the path of least resistance… or so we thought. It turns out that during the decade the car was sitting, mice had moved in. We began finding nests everywhere, and droppings in even the most obscure of places (including behind the B/C Pillars!). Very little of the interior is salvageable, which leaves a whole lot of room for customization.

The wiring appeared to be undamaged (while previously modified) luckily, but many other parts will need to be replaced. The dash is absolutely un-salvageable, as mouse droppings had cooked into pretty much every leather surface. The seats are complete toast. The leather was cracked and the tracks were rusted and seized.

In the next installment we will start digging into the customization of the interior and begin replacing parts. Stay Tuned!

Words: Michael McLean
Photos: Gordon Lister